Your love is a strong, muscular body organ situated contempt to the left of your chest. That pumps blood to all parts of the body v a network of blood vessels by repeatedly expanding and contracting. ~ above average, your heart will certainly beat 100,000 times and pump about 2,000 gallons the blood each day.
You are watching: Why is it important for blood to flow in only one direction
The heart is divided into a right and also left side, be separated by a septum. Each side has an atrium (which receives blood together it enters) and a ventricle (from i m sorry blood is pumped out). The heart has actually a full of 4 chambers: ideal atrium, best ventricle, left atrium and left ventricle.
The best side of the love collects oxygen-depleted blood and also pumps it come the lungs, v the pulmonary arteries, so the the lungs deserve to refresh the blood through a new supply of oxygen.
The left next of the love receives oxygen-rich blood from the lungs, climate pumps blood the end to the remainder of the body"s tissues, v the aorta.
Valves preserve direction that blood flow
As the love pumps blood, a series of valves open and also close tightly. This valves ensure that blood operation in just one direction, preventing backflow.The tricuspid valve is situated in between the right atrium and also right ventricle.The pulmonary valve is between the best ventricle and also the pulmonary artery.The mitral valve is in between the left atrium and left ventricle.The aortic valve is between the left ventricle and the aorta.
Each love valve, other than for the mitral valve, has three flaps (leaflets) that open and also close like entrances on a fence. The mitral valve has actually two valve leaflets.
The circulatory system
While the heart and also lungs room the biggest organs that the circulatory system, the blood vessels are the longest. This extended network of stretchy pipe circulates blood transparent the body. Laid end-to-end, your body"s blood vessels would extend about 60,000 miles. That"s much more than 21 roadway trips between brand-new York and also Los Angeles!
Arteries (along with smaller sized arterioles and microscopic capillaries) convey oxygen- and nutrient-rich blood to the body"s tissues. In turn, veins carry nutrient-depleted blood earlier to the heart. Follow me the way, blood is routed with the kidneys and also liver, together well, filtering waste assets from the blood.
Electrical impulses save the beat
The heart"s four chambers pump in an arranged manner through the aid of electrical impulses that originate in the sinoatrial node (also dubbed the "SA node"). Located on the wall surface of the right atrium, this tiny cluster of dedicated cells is the heart"s herbal pacemaker, initiating electric impulses in ~ a regular rate.
The advertise spreads through the walls of the right and left atria, bring about them to contract, forcing blood right into the ventricles. The impulse climate reaches the atrioventricular (AV) node, which acts together an electric bridge because that impulses to take trip from the atria come the ventricles. Native there, a pathway of yarn (the HIS-Purkinje network) tote the impulse right into the ventricles, i beg your pardon contract and also force blood the end of the heart.
Heart anatomy: through the numbers
1. Superior vena cava: obtain blood native the upper body; delivers blood right into the appropriate atrium.
2. Inferior vena cava: receive blood from the reduced extremities, pelvis and abdomen, and delivers blood right into the best atrium.
3. Best atrium: receives blood returning to the love from the superior and also inferior vena cava; transmits blood to the right ventricle, which pumps blood to the lungs for oxygenation.
4. Tricuspid valve: permits blood to pass from the best atrium to the best ventricle; avoids blood from flowing earlier into the ideal atrium together the love pumps (systole).
5. Right ventricle: obtain blood native the best atrium; pumps blood into the pulmonary artery.
6. Pulmonary valve: enables blood to pass into the pulmonary arteries; prevents blood from flowing earlier into the best ventricle.
7. Pulmonary arteries: lug oxygen-depleted blood native the heart to the lungs.
8. Pulmonary veins: deliver oxygen-rich blood indigenous the lungs to the left atrium of the heart.
9. Left atrium: receive blood returning to the heart from the pulmonary veins.
10. Mitral valve: permits blood to circulation into the left ventricle; stays clear of blood from flowing ago into the left atrium.
11. Left ventricle: receives oxygen-rich blood native the left atrium and pumps blood into the aorta.
See more: What Does It Mean To Be A Switch, What Does Switch Gears Mean Sexually
12. Aortic valve: allows blood to happen from the left ventricle come the aorta; stays clear of backflow of blood right into the left ventricle.