(Adapted from http://www.rebab.netlogycorner.com/)
Parts that the Microscope:
Your microscope has actually 4 target lenses: Scanning (4x), low (10x), High (40x), and Oil Immersion (100x). In this lab, you will not use the oil immersion lens; the is for viewing microorganisms and requires technological instructions not extended in this procedure.
You are watching: To focus a specimen, it is best to start with which objective
In enhancement to the objective lenses, the ocular lens (eyepiece) has actually a magnification. The full magnification is figured out by multiply the magnification the the ocular and objective lenses.
|Magnification||Ocular Lens||Total Magnification|
1. Make sure all backpacks, purses, etc. Are off the benchtop.
2. Carry the microscope by the base and arm v both hands.
3. Keep with the cord wrapped approximately the microscope and also the scanning target clicked into place.
1. Plug her microscope into the strength supply and also switch ~ above the illuminator.
2. Always start v the phase as low as possible and making use of scanning objective (4x). Odds are, friend will be able to see something on this setting (sometimes it’s only a color). Use the rough circuit knob to focus: the image may be little at this magnification, but you won"t be able to find it on the greater powers there is no this an initial step. Relocate the mechanical phase until your focused image is also centered.
3. Once you"ve concentrated using the scanning objective, move to the low strength objective (10x). Usage the outlet knob to refocus and also move the mechanical phase to re-center your image. Again, if friend haven"t concentrated on this level, you will not be able to move to the next level.
4. Currently switch come the high strength objective (40x). In ~ this point, only use the fine adjustment knob to emphasis specimens.
5. If the specimen is too light or as well dark, try adjusting the diaphragm.
1. Store microscope with the scanning target in place and the phase in its shortest position.
2. Pave cords about the microscope.
3. Change slides to original slide tray.
Materials:Compound microscope Microscope slide with the letter “e”
Materials:Compound microscopic lense Microscope slide through 3 threads
Materials:Compound microscope Microscope slide Coverslip carry pipette Pond water sample
1. Using the transport pipette, transport a autumn of pond water top top a microscopic lense slide. The ideal specimens generally come native the bottom and also probably will contain chunks of algae or other debris that you deserve to see through your naked eye.
2. Location the coverslip ~ above the slide.
See more: 1 Cup Of Rice Is How Many Servings, How Much Uncooked Rice Per Person
3. Use the SCANNING (4x) objective to focus, then relocate the mechanically stage about to scan the slide because that live microorganisms. Girlfriend are searching for tiny swimming beings- they may look environment-friendly or clear and might be really small. Pick one to emphasis on and center the in her visual field.
You may wish to use the ProtoSlo to save your biology from swimming also quickly!