When you acquisition items favor shoes, medicine, or electronics, you may an alert little silica gel pods in the packaging, inviting her dog to do a snack out of them.

You are watching: My dog ate a silica packet

Consuming the amount of silica frequently found in a small (1-2-inch packet) most likely won’t execute your canine much damage besides possibly bring about minor digestive upset. If you have actually a tiny dog or your pup has actually consumed a large amount the the stuff, consult her veterinarian.

You might be wonder what happens when your dog swallows apacket the silica gel or spend the steel or charcoal granules typically found in plenty of pre-packaged items.

Help! my Dog Ate Silica Gel

Silica gel most frequently shows up in tiny packets — around 1″x1″ or contempt larger. Silica is a desiccant — it absorbs humidity to keep items indigenous deteriorating. You’ll usually discover the little crystal packages nestled in shoeboxes, bags, or consisted of with electronics.

Canines will eat just around anything left lied around. If friend leavea stray silica packet in ~ the puppy’s reach, he may chew top top it and makea snack the end of the tiny pellets. Silica is other that can have part toxicity to dogs yet doesn’t usually cause serious health problems.

Fortunately, if her dog is affected, the gelatin shouldn’t cause any long-term harm.If your beloved pet samples some silica, your finest course of action is to keep an eye top top her. If you notification any symptoms, girlfriend can call your vet to uncover out what your next steps, if any, need to be.

Ingesting the little amount included within a shoebox or clothing pocketmay no cause any type of problems at all. Your dog may have actually some digestive concerns like stomach upset and possibly also vomiting and diarrhea. If you’re concerned about the symptoms, it’s no a bad idea to call your veterinarian simply to obtain a professional’s opinion top top what to do. If you can not reach her vet, girlfriend can contact thePet poison Helpline.

If, however, her dog spend a big amountof silica, there might be an ext cause for concern. While her dog may not require any kind of treatment, it’s never ever a bad idea to consult someone with some expertise in this area. And making the contact can provide you peace of mind.

*

Another point dogs may acquire into from time to time isactivated charcoal or carbon. The ingredient is sometimes had in little plastic cylinders included in package of dog treats, chews, or her favorite beef jerky. The charcoal will not be toxicity to her pup. Activated charcoal is sometimes used come induce vomiting in dogs to empty their stomachs as soon as they’ve eaten something toxic. However, the tiny amount that charcoal included in one cylinder isn’t sufficient to execute that.

The danger lies with the cylinder. If her dog swallows it, it can block theintestines, particularly in smaller sized dogs whosedigestive networks are narrower and therefore an ext prone come obstructions. Also, chewing top top the cylinder have the right to lead to damages inside your dog’s mouth. Call your vet if you have concerns around your pet’s cradle or dental health.

What If mine Dog Ate Some other Kind the Oxygen-Absorbing Substance?

Some dried or pre-prepared foods come with little packets to keep them from going rancid (a procedure called oxidization). These packets absorb oxygen to prevent or slow down the redox process. These small pods save carbon, salt chloride, and also iron powder. Oxygen-absorbers that don’t have actually elemental iron probably won’t injury your dog. Non-elemental iron will certainly most most likely turn come rust by the time your dog consumes it.

However, element iron is highly toxic come dogs. If the packet in question contains elemental iron, it will most likely be in the form of brown or rust-colored pellets. They space magnetic, which is exactly how you deserve to tell them apart from dyed silica and also other species of oxygen absorbers. Because of its corrosive properties, this sort of iron deserve to do considerable harm to the digestive tract. After ingesting it, her dog will probably vomit, and also the components may save on computer blood. What’s so alarming about iron poisoning is that symptoms can show up almost everywhere from one to five days ~ consumption, so you might not know right away that anything is wrong.

See more: What Organelle Allows Some Protists To Detect Light ?

Iron poisoning deserve to lead come serious health problems, together ashepatoxicity(liver damage) and shock. Part canines likewise develop metabolic acidosis, which renders the body more acidic. The risk of poisoning is highest in dogs weighing less than 15 pounds. Larger dogs are much much less susceptible come iron poisoning uneven they’ve consumed large amounts of the metal.