You are watching: Is a crawl space safe during a tornado
GREENVILLE, S.C. —
If you are in her home and a tornado touch down, experts say wherein you select to ride the end the storm can be a issue of life and death.
1. "The safest location in a residence is the interior part of a basement," the Centers for an illness Control and Prevention says. If you have the right to clear out a point out under the stair in your basement, that is most likely one of the safest areas in your home.
National Park Service
2. If you don’t have actually a safe space in a basement, the next ideal spot is “an interior room without home windows on the lowest floor the the house," the CDC says. Closets and interior hallways are often best because of the lack of windows, which can explode or be blown in during tornadoes. Placed as countless walls in between you and also the exterior of your home as possible. Toilets are additionally often a great choice.
3. Protect against the top floors of a two-story home, even if the room doesn’t have actually windows, due to the fact that the wind and also debris damages of a tornado has tendency to rise with the elevation of the storm, specialists say.
4. Stop any room that is under hefty furnishings, such as a piano or a refrigerator, since if her home’s framework is jeopardized by a tornado, the heavy furniture might fall with the ceiling.
5. If you room unable to take sanctuary in an internal room or basement, acquire under a sturdy item of furniture, if possible. Use a blanket, sleeping bag, mattress, pillow or cushion to safeguard your head and neck.
If you room taking youngsters with you right into a shelter space, be sure you take follow me a flashlight, in situation you lose power, water and snacks, and also toys or books to happen the time.
See more: Lord Of The Rings: Why Does Frodo Leave With Bilbo And Many Elves Get
Hearst tv participates in miscellaneous affiliate marketing programs, which way we may acquire paid rose on purchases made v our links to retailer sites.