You might fit virtually one million Earth-sized planets and also the sun isn't also that huge of a star.




You are watching: How many saturns can fit in the sun

*
byTibi Puiu

From the vantage point of a human, our human being truly is huge. However, in the grand, cosmic system of things, the planet is yet a drop in the solar bucket.

*

The sunlight is a star in ~ the center of the solar system, a sphere consisted of of hot plasma and magnetic fields. The diameter is around 1,392,000 kilometres (864,000 miles), virtually 109 times larger than the Earth, and its fixed is 330,000 times that of the Earth. In fact, by mass, the sun renders up end 99.86% of the solar system, vice versa, gas giants choose Jupiter and also Saturn make up most of the remaining 0.14%.

In stimulate to comprehend the sheer range of the sun, it’s worth questioning the question: how countless Earth-sized planets can you fit inside the sun?


Volume-wise, you might fit nearly 1.3 million Earths into the sun (1.412 x 1018km3). That’s assuming all those millions of Earths room squished together with no empty space in between. But the Earth’s form is spherical no a cube, so only about 960,000 Earths would fit inside the volume of the sun.

Here’s just how it would look prefer (approximately) if the planet was a small blue marble:


One million Earths: A visual representation of how many Earths can fit within the sun pic.twitter.com/Eq3qpl7Log

— Mike Whitmore (

The sun is simply an average-sized star, though. For instance, the red gigantic Betelgeuse has a radius 936 times the of the sun, making the billions the times bigger in volume 보다 the Earth.


*

And that’s nothing. VY Canis Majoris is thought to have between 1,800 and 2,100 time the radius the the sun. Therefore, you might fit dozens that billions that Earths in few of the biggest stars in the universe.

This illustration reflects the approximate sizes of the planets family member to every other.Credit: Wikimedia Commons / NASA/ A. Simon.

Earth is no the biggest nor the smallest planet in the solar system. Mercury (0.055 time Earth’s volume), Venus (0.85 time Eath’s volume), and Mars (0.151 time Earth’s volume) room all smaller than Earth. It would certainly take 17.45 million Mercury-sized planets, 1.12 million Venus-sized planets, and also 6.3 million Mars-sized planets to to fill the sun, gaps no included.


Get more science news choose this...

sign up with the ZME newsletter for amazing science news, features, and exclusive scoops. Much more than 40,000 subscribers can"t be wrong.

daily     Weekly

I have actually read and also agree to the state & conditions.


On opposing end, you might fit 726 Jupiter-sized planets (1,321 times the volume of Earth) and also 1,256 Saturn-sized planets (764 time the volume the Earth) inside a hollow sun, gaps not included.


In the future, you could cram even much more Earths or Jupiters into the sun. Together it drags closer to the end of its lifecycle, the sunlight gets both hotter and larger together it proceeds to fuse hydrogen into helium in ~ its core. When it runs the end of fuel, the core will collapse and also heat increase ferociously, leading to the sun’s outer layers to expand.

By astronomers’ calculations, the sun is currently 20% bigger than at the moment of the formation roughly five billion years ago. In one more five exchange rate years, as soon as it will reach the helium-burning phase, the sunlight will turn into a red giant. It will certainly be so large at this time that it will fully engulf the planets Mercury, Venus, and perhaps even Earth.

*



See more: How Does Glycolysis Occur In The Mitochondria, Cellular Respiration

*

Tibi Puiu

Tibi is a science journalist and co-founder of ZME Science. The writes mainly about emerging tech, physics, climate, and also space. In his spare time, Tibi likes to make weird music ~ above his computer and also groom felines.